Consortium of Christian Relief and Development Associations (CCRDA) is an indigenous non-profit umbrella organization. It is a Consortium of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) engaged in various development activities including agricultural development and food security, rural and urban development, HIV/AIDS prevention and control, environmental protection and gender mainstreaming. It is the first legally registered Association of NGOs/CSOs operating in Ethiopia and serves as a forum for collective vision and action. It allows resource mobilization and the sharing of experiences for effective and sustained impact. CCRDA builds capacity to ensure efficiency and quality are met, efforts are not duplicated and lessons can be learnt. All these are geared towards championing societal transformation.
CCRDA was initially formed to coordinate efforts of few organizations that responded to the humanitarian exigencies of the 1973/74 famine. It has since then expanded its services and membership. In particular, it has shifted from focus on coordinating relief efforts of NGOs to development agenda and good governance efforts such as:
- Building capacity of indigenous NGOs,
- Promoting information exchange and networking for good governance and lobbying within CSOs and between CSOs and other agencies which are active in development areas, as well as
- Promoting an enabling environment for greater contribution of CSOs to development endeavors of Ethiopia.
“CCRDA” stands for Consortium of Christian Relief and Development Associations. Its name as well as the logo of an Ethiopian cross (shown across) are a reminder of the Association’s early roots as an organization that mobilized various churches in Ethiopia to respond to the grave humanitarian situation of the time.
Today, CCRDA’s membership has broadened significantly and many secular and non-Christian religious organizations have joined the Consortium, motivated by a basic commitment to serve all rather than to promote any religious values. As such, the Consortium is mindful of its stated value to be inclusive, that membership and their staff come from a diverse range of faith and secular backgrounds. Its membership has diverse missions and objectives
CCRDA is guided by the values and principles of:
- Fairness, equity and equality;
- Gender responsiveness;
- Commitment to social transformation;
- Openness, transparency and accountability to all stakeholders;
- Learning, flexibility and adaptability;
- People-centered and respect for human dignity;
- Collaboration and co-operation;
- Recognition of the contribution of all, including volunteers; and
- Politically non-partisan
Tel. +251 11 439 03 22
Fax. +251 11 439 35 02
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia